Applications to One to One Are Now Open
Equal Access to Education Starts With One.
At Starts With One, we believe that equitable education is the foundation to the achievement of a better society. As a result, The One to One Program for academic enhancement was founded in March 2016 by the executive team of Starts With One and a group of dedicated students at Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School.
With the prevalence of unequal educational opportunities for students in Vancouver, Starts With One noticed that the disparities within our society were only being augmented. One to One aims to give our community’s youth equal opportunities for academic enhancement by providing students with high quality extra curricular service programs at absolutely no cost to their families.
Lesson materials will be fully paid for by Starts With One Vancouver. Further covered expenses include conference, transportation and equipment fees. All lesson plans are developed with rigorous attention to detail by One to One instructors, under the supervision of school administrators and the tutelage of Sealy Tutoring. The quality of each offered program is comparable to a lesson costing between $25-$80 an hour.
Starts With One hopes that the One to One program will not only empower youth, but inspire them for the rest of their lives.
Our Lessons - What We Offer
- Science Tutoring
- Math Tutoring
- Essay Writing/English
- French Language Lessons
- Guitar Lessons
- Violin Lessons
- Singing Lessons
- Music Theory
Athletics - Private Coaching
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Business & Entreprenuership
- Debate/Public Speaking
How the Program Works:
1. Prospective One to One Instructors 16 years of age or older will be trained and coached by qualified Starts With One volunteer employees.
2. One to One program leaders will design their own lesson plans, catered to the their matched student, becoming experienced tutors, coaches and/or instructors in their skill set.
3. Students will be matched with One to One program leaders by registering for posted programs in September 2017.
4. All lessons will take place at community tutoring facilities or a designated and supervised public area.
5. All program materials will be subsidized by Starts With One Vancouver.